Thursday, March 24, 2011

He read my mind!

I was pleasantly surprised this morning when a student came to our Morning Meeting with a great book he was in the middle of reading. It was his sharing day today, and decided he wanted to share the book. He is reading the third Percy Jackson book, The Titan's Curse. He told a little about the plot and what he liked about the story. I was so excited that he was choosing to do this on his own without it being an assignment. I can see by this that he and probably some of my other students will thrive doing book talks. I wonder if making book talks a required assignment would take away from the motivation. What would happen if initially I tried assigning it as an option? I want to make sure that this project doesn't turn into something that takes away from the enjoyment of reading for my students. I said yesterday that I wanted to implement book talks as a part of my Friday Mornings. After today, I think that Morning Meeting might be a better place for this implementation. Tomorrow I will start modeling. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment